Visa & Passport Information

You will need a student visa called an F-1 in order to study at Thomas College. In order to receive an F-1 student visa you will need to apply at your nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate. Thomas College will send you what is called a Form I-20 once you have decided to enroll at Thomas College. Once you receive this form via the mail, you will want to request your visa appointment about 90 days before your scheduled arrival at Thomas, which is around June 1st.

Before you schedule your appointment, we recommend that you review information on the U.S. government website. Please note that there are different procedures for Canadian students.

Several standard items are required for the application:

  • Form I-20: You will need a form I-20, which we will mail to you in a timely fashion, after you pay your $300 USD enrollment fee
  • Your acceptance letter from Thomas College
  • SEVIS fee receipt: The US Government now requires students to pay a $200 fee to register with SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). We will send a letter along your form I-20 explaining how to pay this fee. If possible, you should file and pay on-line via the SEVIS fee website. This site will also answer many of your questions, and you can track your payment and receipt. You must keep the receipt you receive and be able to produce it when you apply for a visa. Print the electronic receipt from on-line payment as proof of payment for your interview.
  • Receipt for visa application fee (if required)
  • A current passport valid for at least six months (make sure your passport matches your I-20 in terms of first name, middle name, and family name along with your date of birth. If these do not match, please notify us as soon as possible to change your I-20. 
  • Evidence of financial support for the period of time and amount indicated on the I-20 (typically bring the same documentation you provided when you applied for admission
  • Proof of permanent residence outside the United States
  • A nonimmigrant visa application: forms DS-156 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application), DS-158 (Contact Information and Work History for Nonimmigrant Visa Applicants), and, if applicable, DS-157 (Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application, required for males only)

Additional application materials may be requested by the visa officer to prove your eligibility for a student visa (click here to find the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate and to review all required material for your appointment). These may include: evidence of English proficiency, school records to verify academic preparation, and additional evidence of strong ties to your home country (such as property, family, or other community ties) or of your ability to support yourself while in the United States. An application fee or a short interview may be required.

Once you receive your F-1 student visa, notify Gina Fasulo, International Admissions Counselor at You will only be able to arrive to the United States 30 days prior to the report date on your I-20. We recommend that you notify Gina Fasulo of your travel arrangements, so she or another Thomas College official can prepare for your arrival safely to Thomas College.

If you have any problems obtaining your visa or any questions, contact Gina Fasulo at Thomas College.

As you prepare for your trip to the United States, we recommend that you visit eduPASS! as it will help you with questions you might have about living in the United States.

Thomas College. Beyond Education.